Just some photographs today. . .

Black Walnut, in hull

Black Walnut, smooshed

Black Walnut, chewed

Bitternut Hickory leaf

Bitternut Hickory (Carya cordiformis) crown

Still green across the river where does graze

A patch of color on the bend

Through the kitchen window

Bald Cypresses (Taxodium distichum) turn to copper on the pond

American Bladdernut (Staphylea triflia) pods

Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) limbs

Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) grove

Back yard visitor
13 comments:
Very very nice!.........crisp!
Thank you, Anonymous! "Crisp" came to mind many times this weekend.
Lovely pictures! Especially the owl ones, only one word springs to mind: WOW!
The owl is TOO precious! I love that quiet little face staring out from the nest box.
Hi, Red Robin & Jason, I ran for my camera SO FAST when I first saw him. It wasn't necessary, as he basked in the sun and posed all day. Oh, to have a stronger zoom lens! Someday, someday.
I so admire you garden! As well as smooshes, and spooky spiders OUr colours are nearly done!
Jenn, and I so admire your lake and your conifers and your raccoons!
Oh.....you have a beautiful yard. You're so lucky to be surrounded by gorgeous woods. I'm jealous....
I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the American Bladdernut pods on my walks along the Little Miami River. I've not seen one...but I just read that they grow near rivers. I just went through your previous posts....so lovely!!! You have a lot of beauty around you.
Thanks so much for visiting, Kelly.
Bladdernuts don't jump out at you till their pods appear in fall, then they're everywhere. :o)
We planted most of the trees here, all but the biggest. The place floods, the house is small and needs work... but we don't take Nature for granted, not even for a day!
Hi Jain ...Loved all the photos, especially the owl...do you actually harvest persimmons...I remember my parents driving along and spotting them, but I haven't seen any in years.
Hi, Wanda. We don't have enough persimmons to harvest -- wish we did! Last year, most stayed on the tree till well-frozen and fermented and we joked about the local opossums getting tipsy. Other years, we'll take a bite and leave the rest for the critters.
Bladdernuts are so great! Because the pods are green, it's easy to miss them before they turn brown and papery. When I point them out to people, I usually get a mild expression of interest, but what other shrub produces such a great and unusual fruit? There are two patches in the natural area I frequent (both in wet areas), and I enjoy the plants every time I pass them. Congrats on the owl shot (regardless of the distance); how often is anyone treated to a view of an owl?
Scott, I'll break a bladdernut open and show the contents here soon; it's neat if folks haven't seen it. Thanks and you're right, I felt privileged to see the owl!
Post a Comment