A broken tree has taken root in the bend. This is the deepest part of the river so, like a glacier, a good bit of it must be below the surface.
It’s frozen in place for season.
Around the bend, open water. This is the spot where Whitetail Deer most often cross so we know it’s shallow and I’m surprised it doesn’t freeze first. The sun must warm the riverbed to keep the water thawed. There's so much I don't know about this river.

Note the foreground footprints.
Canid, we think, probably Coyote due to the size, but perhaps Red Fox (the ice was too thin to risk measuring).
Speaking of Red Fox, we drove to town Saturday morning, past a rural golf course, and saw a pair mating. It was one of those “can’t look!/must look!” moments. (We were driving at 55 mph [89 kph] so it became a “quick, look!” moment.) Doing the math, a pairing now, with a 52-day gestation period, would make for an early March delivery date – that sounds about right.





6 comments:
I love your header Jain and the field photo is beautiful. Wish there were a mouth puckering persimmon tree on my property, that's a childhood memory of mine. I found similar prints and wondered just what had made them.
Your winter river views are perfect! Stay warm and dry!
Hello, Wanda! I wish I could have done that field photo justice, the sunlight on the frost was really magical. I hope you're keeping warm, too!
I laughed at the "can't look!/must look!" moment. Isn't that the truth! I love to see nature doing its thing, but I always feel a tad voyeuristic--and taking pictures creates a major conflict! So thank you for letting me know others have that same internal struggle.
I'm curious about the line track. Must be something small, as you say.
Looks like it's nice and cold up there. Stay warm and comfy!
Jason, also glad to know that Nature's more intimate moments give others pause.
Cold and getting colder, snowy and getting snowier, I'll do my best to keep warm, thank you!
Jain...I can't find the comment box on your current post about the train ride...so odd, so I can't leave a comment there. The train ride looks like a fun thing to do. We rode on a local old steam engine from Lebanon to Mason in the fall one year. It took us to a pumpkin farm and back!
Wanda, I can't find the missing comment problem, thanks for letting me know. I'll see if it happens with my next post, then go from there.
Interesting about the Lebanon/Mason run; I wondered how many other train excursions were available around Ohio.
Post a Comment