
No, I haven't traveled to a distant lake, this is the field across the road.

The front yard, under water
(no threat to the house, though)

The path to the Point and Little Frog Creek, impassable
It will be scorching hot in the coming days and the river should finally recede.
We've found more ticks this spring than the last 5 years combined, and some nearby suburbs are talking about spraying for mosquitoes 2 months earlier than usual. Yeesh, at least it's a good year for bugs.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
We transplanted a few Green Dragons (Arisaema dracontium) from the Woods to the yard a few years ago. A fine pioneer has seeded itself in the yard far from the original transplants.

The plant is related to Jack-in-the-Pulpit and has a unusual solitary leaf divided into 5 to 21 leaflets, arranged in a C-shape. Populations extend over most of eastern North America, in wet woods and along stream banks. The plant is threatened and endangered in the northeastern U.S.

The Dragon gets its name from the long spadix that extends far beyond the spathe. Click to enlarge to see the flowers at the base of the main stem.
7 comments:
hnijghjjnbb
Hi Jain...I bet your wondering what in the world that code was I sent you, I was testing to see if comment was working yet and it went through lol
Is all this water from just rain??
I can't believe all that water you have!!
I hate ticks yuck..everyday when I'm outside I am very aware because of the deer tick...
I like your new blog look!!
Nice !
Grammie, thanks for clarifying your first comment. I thought it stood for Heck no! I just got happy jumping jellybeans, not burned beans! and I was a little concerned. :o)
Yes, the water is from waaaaay too much rain.
I'm not very happy with the ticks, either, but you have to admit they're good at what they do.
I'm glad you like the new banner! It's American Chestnut.
Thanks, Anon!
No Green Dragons in my woods--or the neighborhood, as far as I know. Really neat plant!
Rain frequency has slowed significantly here on the PA Piedmont. In fact, it hadn't rained for a week--until this morning at 6:15 a.m., when I was a half-hour into the third set of my annual breeding bird censuses. I ducked under cover for the 10 minute downpour, and then decided to continue the census despite knowing full well I'd be soaked when I was done.
I was (soaked), but it was my best census so far this year, with many "firsts" for the year: Scarlet Tanager, Cedar Waxwing, Black-throated Blue Warbler (probably a late arrival--they don't usually breed here), and a warbler I couldn't identify by song; I'll have to listen to my CD.
I found billions of mosquito larvae in an old colonial spring house that is usually dry on my preserve. Maybe that's why I can't stand to go out at dusk this year? They've been "dunked." You won't be able to "dunk" yours when they emerge, unfortunately.
Scott,
Nice collection of birds, congrats! Sounds like the soaking was well worth it.
I didn't know about dunks till I did a quick search just now. So it's safe for all other critters? It's too bad it won't work here; I don't think I'll make it through the summer without digging out my bugshirt.
SO WET! I am so glad it's hot and dry now. I hope we can all dry out a bit before more rain. Love the green dragon!
Post a Comment