Monday, December 26, 2011

A very brief journey

We'd been making plans for weeks to escape civilization for the holidaze: packing lists, shopping, food prep, vacation requests, dog boarding, reservations, maps... you know the routine.

Our destination: southeastern Ohio's beautiful Hocking Hills. It's only a 2-hour drive but it feels like a world away.

It was nice to be out of the flatlands and into the hills. Hemlocks and cedars provided some welcome green.

Our secluded cabin was lovely, with a hot tub, wood burning fireplace, and not-one-but-TWO bathrooms.

The ravines and sandstone outcroppings behind the cabin were gorgeous.

Trees growing right out of rock always amaze me

as do mini-landscapes of lush moss and fern growing on boulders.


And now should follow a breathtaking series of photos of nearby Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls, Conkles Hollow, Cantwell Cliffs... but after a day and a half, we missed the dogs awfully and decided to come home early. It was a good decision.


7 comments:

Scott said...

It's good to hear from you, Jain. It's been a long time since you posted. I got all excited, expecting to see images of Conkle's Hollow, Old Man's Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, and Cedar Falls, but all to no avail. (I was an undergraduate at Ohio University in Athens and visited the Hocking Hills pretty frequently.) However, if the decision to leave early was a good one, then I respect that and will just have to go see the winter "sights" myself some time.

Wanda..... said...

Very serene and magical looking photos of a lovely place, Jain! Love the sunlight through the trees and the moss covered rocks and fern.

Jain said...

Hi Scott, yes, it's been a while. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the lack of pictures; I was a little let down, myself. Now that I recall how close the Hills really are, I plan to go back for a day and take my grandnephew, while leaving the 'dogsitter' at home to tend to the pups.

Thank you, Wanda, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Kelly said...

...I love Hocking Hills! What a great idea going now. I love the green of the moss...

Jain said...

I love the Hills, too, Kelly. I enjoy this time of year, when the geology is more visible.
It's silly not to go more often - I must remedy that.

Jenn Jilks said...

How beautiful. It looks a lot like our area, from a spring photo! We have snow, and an icy driveway. sigh.
Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario!

Jain said...

Hi Jenn, yes, there are some similarities between Ontario and southern Ohio - both have beautiful countrysides. Thanks for stopping by!