Monday, December 22, 2008

Life

The river ices over as it recedes, creating a crunchy shoreline


It was getting dark when the action started so you'll have to imagine an injured Canada Goose in the water back in the left crook and a Bald Eagle perched in a tree overhanging the bend on the right. The eagle dive bombs the goose once, twice, thrice over a half hour period, the goose fighting back by flapping his wings, possibly the only self-defense gesture he can muster. In between attacks, the eagle perches overhead. After one last unsuccessful attempt, the eagle heads downriver, empty-taloned.


I don’t know whether to cheer for the poor hurt goose who’s been through something I can’t even imagine, or the hungry eagle, in need of a meal. Then I remember Marty Stouffer’s “Wild America” series, where he has me rooting for the hawk who needs to feed her fledglings in one episode, and a hare, with babies in the warren, who desperately needs to escape from the hawk the next. There’s no good and bad, right and wrong, villain and hero here, just Life.



1 comment:

sharp green pencil said...

Hi Jain.. thanks so much for your comment on the blog..good luck with the sketching! It is lovely to see some cold photos and corn. It all reminds me of my Uk home. Its hot and sticky here in Florida..and I do envy you that beautiful coffee pod. I have yet to find a Kentucky coffee tree!