It was crazy mild this weekend, with highs around 70F/21C. I canoed in a t-shirt!

I hoped to go for a paddle while the leaves were their most colorful but they changed and fell very fast this year.
Some deep red remained in the bankside oaks,

The reflections weren't very colorful, but they were pretty nonetheless.
Here, a buck escorted a doe across the river and is leading her onto the gravel bar on the right (click to enlarge).
this was the second corn cob of the day for this Eastern Chipmunk.
A White-breasted Nuthatch fed at the feeder,
The garden is looking a little scruffy, littered with leaves, but most things have happily survived a couple of light frosts.
The garden is still producing radishes, turnips, several kinds of greens, and spinach. And look at that carrot! Isn't it magnificent?!
I pulled and pulled and absolutely squealed when the thing came out of the earth. Then I ran inside to share with O, who shared in my excitement.
Of half a dozen persimmon trees, just one produced again this year. They're sparse but seem bigger than last summer's. They're way, way up high--this shot is zoomed in--so we're not likely to taste any. Enjoy, Opossums and Raccoons!


where hornets summered.
The reflections weren't very colorful, but they were pretty nonetheless.Whitetail Deer were moving about this weekend.
Here, a buck escorted a doe across the river and is leading her onto the gravel bar on the right (click to enlarge).I was surprised at how quickly the Black Walnuts disappeared this fall. The crop was healthy enough but they barely hit the ground and were gone. Squirreled away for a "bad" winter, perhaps? Other creatures are filling up and storing food--
this was the second corn cob of the day for this Eastern Chipmunk.
A White-breasted Nuthatch fed at the feeder,You can see we don't rake our leaves. How silly would that be, to rake, bag, pay for removal, get in the car, buy a bag of fertilizer wrapped in plastic, spread the fertilizer, then dispose of the bag? Better just to sit back, have a beer, and let it all rot. :o)
The reds of the Blackgum leaves from last week deepened in color.
The reds of the Blackgum leaves from last week deepened in color.
The garden is looking a little scruffy, littered with leaves, but most things have happily survived a couple of light frosts. It's our first carrot!!!
I pulled and pulled and absolutely squealed when the thing came out of the earth. Then I ran inside to share with O, who shared in my excitement.Then I killed it, sliced it, and served it in a salad to friends. There are worse ends, I guess.
Of half a dozen persimmon trees, just one produced again this year. They're sparse but seem bigger than last summer's. They're way, way up high--this shot is zoomed in--so we're not likely to taste any. Enjoy, Opossums and Raccoons! I wanted to photograph the Pin Oak in the front yard but it’s surrounded by trees and I couldn’t get a clean shot of it. So I filmed it, trunk to crown, just to give you an idea of its size.
A friend allowed us to raid his wood lot for trees many years ago. We chose this one, which was far too large for two people to move. We dug it up, schlepped it through the woods, brought it home, dug a hole, planted it, and gave it a good drink. There was much grunting and groaning, and backs were sore the following day. It was worth the trouble.
Photographs I didn't get this week:
* The first snow--I was stuck in my cube in my office many miles to the south when it happened. I hate missing the first snow.
* A Bald Eagle on the river nearly every day. O saw him and phoned in reports to me. I spent most of the weekend looking out the window but he seems to only work Monday through Friday.
* The Screech Owl who flew in front of my face at arm's length as I walked the puppy in the dark. Yes, their wingbeats really are silent.
* The Ghost Deer of 'Possum Valley, clearly seen this evening across the river but too dark to photograph.
I managed to get a shot of sunlight on the pond yesterday. It looks like a starry sky, don't you think?


20 comments:
FABULOUS shots!!!!
It was an amazing day - a gift, for sure. T-shirt weather.
I think you are right. Our squirrels are awfully large. I think it will be a hard winter...
Aw, thank you, Jenn! I'm happy this fine weather visited you, too.
It's good to hear confirmation about the coming winter. I know it can be hard up North, but I only cross-country skied ONCE last year and I want some snow!
I really enjoy your stream shots. If you put a canoe on my creek it would span both banks.
I have five walnut trees in my yard and the squirrels took every nut. Most were taken right from the tree, so I only got to collect about a half bushel for myself.
Glad you liked the river shots, Steve!
I was wondering if I was crazy, seeing walnuts everywhere one day, and none the next. It will be interesting to follow this over the winter and see how it plays out!
...your first carrot is magnificent!! I would love to grow them. So far, I've stuck with tomatoes and peppers. I also enjoyed your canoeing shots. The first photo where you can see the end of the canoe is beautiful.
Same here Jain, our trees were heavy with "exta large" walnuts this year...I did a post on their size and number. Our squirrels are happy!
I enjoyed your post and photos Jain, even the ones you didn't get...having a Screech Owl fly by so close to you would be an unforgettable experience.
I woke in the middle of the night once to the sound of one and saw it fly out of the trees from the upstairs bedroom window.
Enjoy this warm fall weather!!!
Kelly, it was mighty pretty on the river yesterday so can't take too much credit for pointing and clicking. Thank you for admiring my magnificent carrot. :oD
Wanda, it's so interesting to learn that my "neighbors" are noticing similar walnut harvests -- it's like leaning over the fence with one another. :o)
Owl sightings are always a treat, to be sure! I hope you're enjoying these mild temps, too!
Ooooo Janet, those reflections and buck and doe pictures are fabulous! Enlarged they would look lovely on a living room wall. Need I say I love the chickadee and nuthach pictures? It's so nice to be able to have a peek at the birdlife in your part of the world!
Hello Jain
each of your shots is lovely and tells a story of its own. I saw foxes this week twice after a 20 plus year absence...it was so exciting...being in town as we are...
I loved your autumn story, thanks
Happy days
Red Robin, I don't post a birdy picture without thinking of you! You'll have to come visit our birds in person one day.
Hi Delwyn! The foxes must have been a thrill! Are they making a comeback after all this time?
Happy days to you!
Indeed... autumn's a gorgeous season, but I eagerly await the return of springtime bustle.
Steve, I'll welcome Spring with open arms... right after I enjoy a few blizzards!
It's been grossly mild down here too, Jain. Even a barista at the local Starbucks commented that it's time for some real autumnal weather (sure, we're normally warmer than you are, but we're above normal this year--at least so far).
I adore the nuthatch and chickadee! Chickadees, like titmice and kinglets, are such delightful bundles of energy. And the magic of the owl encounter: all that power and grace wrapped up in a silent package. Wow! You must have been thrilled with the experience...
Great post! Again, I feel like I enjoyed the weekend with you, visited that beautiful place you call home. Gorgeous photos!
Jain,
I loved your final shot with the water sparkling like diamonds or stars.
I've tried to grow carrots. I think our soil is too "tight" or dense for a successful crop--my carrots were always very short and stubby, so I just gave up. It's a lot easier to buy organic carrots at the grocery store, especially since I eat so many of them.
We had a great crop of black walnuts here on the Piedmont this year, too, but unlike in your area, many of the walnuts are still lying on the paths, threatening (sometimes successfully) to turn our ankles.
Jason, I've been passing your link around to friends as one of the best nature photographers on the web, so even a nod from you is such an honor. Thank you. (I'm starting to window shop for something more than a point-n-shoot so I can get some real chicakadee photos, maybe by Spring.)
Normally I would be upset at warm temps this time of year--climate change and all--but just this once, I wallowed in the warmth.
I'm ready for sweaters, ice scrapers, boots, skis, and mittens now!
Hi, Scott! The starry pond shot was a big surprise. “Whoa! What’s that in my camera!?”
This was my third attempt at carrots. The soil is clay but we piled some organic stuff on top of it, then planted short-ish carrots. Patience and faith are required, that something is happening underground.
I took a walk in the woods and came upon several patches of fallen walnuts, but the yard is definitely bare. The squirrels must be very local in their gathering habits.
Jain, you make me blush with your generous compliment. Thank you!
Hi Jain. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's so nice to meet another Ohio nature blogger! I've been getting caught up on your older posts. Sorry to hear about your dog. We lost one of our dogs within the last few months, too. I really enjoyed that recent leaf ID post. And you mentioned snow in this post. Snow already in Ohio? You must be pretty far north! For us here in SEOhio it looks like we're up for another t-shirt weekend with highs predicted near 70 once again! Woohoo!
Post a Comment