
American Beech icicle dangle

White Pinecicle
(I wonder about the brown bits on the needles. Is this a nutrient deficiency?)
I intentionally placed this photo down the page a bit so you may bug out now if you're squeamish.

This is Splitback the Red Squirrel. I noticed him for the first time today. What you see isn't just a parting of fur, it's either a wound along his spine or a congenital disorder. Happily, he was flying around the feeder and branches like any ol' healthy squirrel, but, having an achy back the last few days, I feel for him.
Some creatures go through things we seldom see and cannot imagine.
9 comments:
That's really a strange squirrel, isn't it?
Fodder for an Aboriginal myth, e.g., how the chipmunk got its stripes!
Hi Jain...I have been trying to catch up to everybodys post!!
Glad I got to this one .
"How odd is that"..I hope it isn't something that bothers it , but like you said he is active !!
Interesting post and photos!!
Hope your back is feeling better soon : {
Does it go right down his tail? That would make me think it is not an injury, but I have never heard of anything like this. Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
Interesting! Glad he seems functional and fine!
Jain, Thanks for sharing your image. A few years ago, I had a Gray Squirrel at my feeder with mange that got progressively worse. In the end, it was so horribly miserable that it had lost all its fur and was rolling around in the dirt under the feeder nearly insane. It disappeared the next day. I really feel for animals like these; we have no idea what some of them go through.
I wonder if this is related to the phenomenon that gives Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs their characteristic 'ridge' of fur going the wrong direction.
It certainly looks far too symmetrical and even to be an injury.
Wow. That's very interesting. I'd say it's too perfect to be a wound--straight down the dorsal midline. With surgical precision. I bet it's congenital.
No matter what caused/causes it, it sure is fascinating.
What strange markings. So interesting to see though, I'm glad you shared your photo of him.
Thanks for your comments, Friends, they're appreciated.
We're dealing with some high water issues here in the Midwest and I hope to post in the coming days.
Till then, keep dry, or warm, or cool, or whatever makes you happy.
~Jain
Post a Comment