Rain hasn't fallen for a while
With things a bit drier than usual, it was time for a walk in the Woods.
Hazel came along. I had hoped the dryness would drive the mosquito numbers down, but after about 10 minutes, they found me. [scratch-scratch-scratch]
This clearing is swampy in the Spring, a haven for salamanders, frogs, and Wood Ducks,
The Great Lobelias didn't seem to mind.
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers says of this plant, "The unfortunate species name (Lobelia siphilitica) is based on the fact that it was a supposed cure for syphilis." Good to know!
Jack-in-the-Pulpits drank enough water in the Spring to produce berries.
Jack-in-the-Pulpits drank enough water in the Spring to produce berries.
Some huge trees once lived in the Woods. The previous owners cut many of them
9 comments:
Lovely walk. We've had cold temperatures and much rain around here. It makes saying goodbye to Muskoka easier. I cannot wait to explore our new 6 acres!
cheers!
Can't wait to see your new acres, Jenn!
I have most all of those seed pods and nuts on the property here, Jain, except for the frilly-capped Bur Oak. Wish I had your great river view too!
Looks like a great walk! I hope fall is super for you, Janet. :) jak
Wanda, we were tickled to find the Bur Oakorns, they're few and far between here.
Jennifer and Steve, I hope your fall is super, too!
This was a good walk. You've made me miss my own appalachian green walks. Not so much variety on walks out here in Nevada where I'm on a vacation. (waverlytotahoe.blogspot.com )
Those are some cracks in that ground - you sure do need alot of rain.
I loved all those colours and shapes from the nuts and that shagbark hickory looks ever so haunting.
Really nice walk, Jain. I'm glad I could "come along." I especially enjoyed the images of the collected nuts and of the toad--good job! Before Sunday, we hadn't had any rain for three weeks; the forest understory was shriveling before our eyes--but did that stop the mosquitoes? Hah! We got gentle rain on Sunday morning--not enough to make a real difference, but better than nothing.
Beyond The Garden, maybe not such variety, but really nice views!
leavesnbloom, I like to imagine bats taking refuge behind the shagbark, there are stories we'll never know, for sure!
Scott, thanks for walking with me. I wondered if mosquitoes are adapting to dry weather, yikes! I'm not much of a dancer but I'm about ready to try the rain dance thing.
Post a Comment