Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day Storm

Yesterday afternoon, freezing rain and sleet fell again, doubling the icing on the trees. I took the dogs out at 11:30 p.m. and it had warmed. In the dark, I could hear slushcicles falling to the ground around me.

I was awakened at 1:30 a.m.: the wind had picked up and it was blowing all the ice off the branches. It sounded as if pieces of glass were hitting the windows and it seemed to come from all four directions at once. What a racket!

When daybreak came, every branch, limb, and twig was free of ice. No more crunching underfoot, another inch had fallen and the ground was a sheet of solid ice. Too slippery to venture out, these pictures were taken through windows.

There were fallen limbs all over the yard but we didn't lose any big ones. We never lost power, either, though friends and co-workers and my office were without. We were very lucky and very grateful.

Wind blew the leaves off the Sweetbay Magnolia.


(Gratuitous cute Red Squirrel picture)


One of the Fox Squirrels finally found his way across the river.


He was kind enough to do a woodchuck impersonation,
which gives me the opportunity to wish you a Happy Groundhog Day!

7 comments:

Nicole Pearce said...

Happy Marmot Day too!

Wanda..... said...

That cute visiting fox squirrel looks almost as big as a groundhog. Your weather and yard are identical to ours, Jain. The wind woke me the other night also, plummeting the house with ice and branches! There will be a huge clean up to do this Spring. During the night it snowed again, later today I have the funeral of my sister's husband to attend, hope the weather is calmer.

Jennifer said...

So glad the sun is shining today! YAY. I feel like we made it. :) Glad you guys fared the storm ok. Let's hope that's it for 2011!

Scott said...

I looked at the second image of the Fox Squirrel before reading the caption and thought it WAS a groundhog. Great imitation!

Here in the PA Piedmont, we got about 1/4" of ice. We, too, have many downed limbs but no big tree loss. We did lose power for five hours on Wednesday, but that was minor compared to some others around here who were out for 1-1/2 days. The trees and power lines are ice-free today, but snow from the last storm still clings to some of the more horizontal branches and the evergreen boughs.

I'm off to tour our local nuclear power plant today!

FAB said...

Hi Jain. You are certainly getting a rough deal with this weather system. Stay safe.
Slightly belated but Happy Groundhog Day.

grammie g said...

Hi Jain...I'm a little slow getting to you ,but we got about 16 inches of snow and I had to do some shoveling and clean up!!
Looks like you didn't fair so well either!!
I love your Fox Squirrel.. how cute is that!!

Jain said...

Nicole, our marmots are quite different, I imagine. What I wouldn’t give to see one of yours one day!

Wanda, I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope the weather cooperated with your travel plans.

J & S, a little sunshine goes a log way this time of year. It’s been nice!

Scott, the Fox Squirrel was tickled to hear he’d fooled you. :o)

Thanks for the wishes, Frank. The ice was (and will continue to be) miserable but we fared better than many.

Grammie, 16 inches! Now that’s just what I need to do some serious skiing! I hope you were able to enjoy it between the shoveling and clean up.