Saturday, January 21, 2012

An Odd Freeze

In nearly 30 years, the river's never done this before.

It typically freezes slowly, smoothly, ice skate-ably.

But this morning was different.

I wondered if it had frozen as the wind howled, whipping it into chunks as it froze. I don't have any other theories. Do you?

6 comments:

Grizz………… said...

There's not a bit of ice on the river here, though the weather has been cold—down to 3˚F yesterday. But the water has been high (okay high, not scary high) and running fast.

I'd say your guess as to the ice formation is right. If not, it beats me. Love the hotos.

Jain said...

Thanks, Grizz, it's good to have my suspicion validated!

Kelly said...

...oh my goodness, that is really cool. It did not do that down here by us!

Scott said...

Great images, Jain! I've never seen flowing water freeze like this, either, so my guess is that you and Grizz are right. The temperatures must have been just exactly perfect for this to happen. Neat and weird!

Jain said...

Hi, Kelly, it appears to be pretty warm in your neck of the woods. It's warming here, too, all the ice was gone by this afternoon.

Jain said...

Thanks, Scott! This happened overnight; I wish I could have seen it forming.