I don't see Dirca palustris that often, perhaps because it tends to blend in. It is a really interesting shrub that I don't think too many Ohioans know, even those that are interested in plants and natural history.
Dirca has such a pretty form! The buds are interesting even in late winter. (I'm determined to get a decent photo before flowering is done.)
We're just amateur naturalists but O and I spent our dating years reading field guides, E. Lucy Braun's "Woody Plants," and other nature books. We've collected a variety of native plants over the years -- big fun!
6 comments:
No wildflowers up here yet…and I looked today! Daffodils, crocus, forsythia, etc. But NO WILDFLOWERS!!!
But you're south, right? I don't understand! Perhaps it's lack of rain?
Yup, south…I think. Rain, temps, the cloud gods blocking out the sun and robbing of us necessary photoperiods—who knows. Probably because it's Ohio.
"Probably because it's Ohio."
That would explain it!
I don't see Dirca palustris that often, perhaps because it tends to blend in. It is a really interesting shrub that I don't think too many Ohioans know, even those that are interested in plants and natural history.
Tom
Dirca has such a pretty form! The buds are interesting even in late winter. (I'm determined to get a decent photo before flowering is done.)
We're just amateur naturalists but O and I spent our dating years reading field guides, E. Lucy Braun's "Woody Plants," and other nature books. We've collected a variety of native plants over the years -- big fun!
Post a Comment