Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Echo Lake

Lake Superior is the superior lake, but as small, inland lakes go, Echo Lake is a gem.

The lake covers 25 acres and bottoms out at nearly 70 feet at its deepest point. The majority of the shoreline is rugged rock outcroppings, some steep and nearly vertical.

A peninsula juts into the lake

and Water Shield rides the waves of clear water.

I swam here years ago, and know the peninsula harbors wild cranberries on the southwest (left in this picture) edge. Click to enlarge and see

the beaver-cut trees on the opposite side. Black Bear, Bobcat, Fisher, River Otter, Mink, Snowshoe Hare, and Porcupines inhabit this place, and Gray Wolf sign has been observed.

Red Oak and Sugar Maple are beginning to turn, and soon

Eastern Hemlock, White Cedar, Red and White Pines, and Balsam Fir will be the only greenery.


8 comments:

Northland said...

Is Echo Lake on Grand Island? That is the only central UP lake I know called Echo. It is, I think, the 3rd largest beaver made lake in the world. If you get a chance to spend some time on Grand Island out of the bay from Munising, go there. you won't regret it. Get the book "A Face in the Rock" by Loren Graham. After reading it you will want to visit Grand Island.
Are you doing work over in the Mqt area? I also love both Presque Isle and Little Presque Isle. Harlow Lake is another area that is great fun to spend time in.

Wanda..... said...

Your description of the water off the Black Rocks at Presque Isle Park was perfect...achingly blue!
Echo Lake looks like a great place to be...blue sky and water...very nice views, Jain!

Jain said...

Hi Don,
This Echo Lake is in Marquette County, accessed from Rt. 550. I've done weed removal on Grand Island -- great memories! I've heard about the Face in the Rock but didn't know about the book, I'll look for it.
I lived in Marquette a few years and I'm back for a vacation.
I love ALL of the natural areas UP here!
Thanks for stopping by!
Jain

Jain said...

Hi Wanda!
I couldn't really put words to the Black Rocks photos, the place is sacred to me, so special. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. The pictures don't really do it justice.
I spent time at Echo Lake years ago and didn't know if I'd see it again -- I was grateful for the chance to visit, it's really stunning.

Anonymous said...

Get ready to move when you get home !........I'm packin to live there !......Glorious !
O.

Grizz………… said...

Jain…I have a piece of land on Lake Superior just east of Grand Marais, which is directly north of Seney, at the east end of the Pictured Rocks—and your lovely photos make me so achingly homesick (though I've never actually lived there) that I can scarcely bear to look. But I do, of course, because I so love that country. Don't know Echo Lake, but I may just make a visit the next time I do manage to escape north of the bridge.

Jain said...

O, don't know if you'd like it here. It's pretty liberal and the place is crawling with vegans.

;o)

Jain said...

Scribe, I know the feeling, there's a magical pull about this place that won't let go. May you cross the bridge soon.