Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween at the Arboretum

I hadn't planned to do a Halloween post
but this orange and black beauty was at the back door and I had no choice.

I wasn't able to identify her but surely taxonomists named her "Halloween Spider."

[Later that week... I searched again at bugguide.net and learned this really is the Halloween Spider, Araneus marmoreus!]

This is probably a female or an immature male. Adult males have enlarged pedipalps (front appendages) that look like boxing gloves.

~~~~~~~~~~

Autumn marches on here, with light frosts the past week, and hard freezes in the forecast.
The bend in the river has a fish-eye lens appearance.

The low water is barely moving and leaves come to rest along the far bank.


The 2-month drought spoiled much of the bright fall color so Blackgum reds are especially appreciated.

The highlight of my week was seeing the first Harbinger of Winter yesterday,

a Dark-Eyed Junco.

5 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Halloween Spider for sure, Jain!

The photos of the bend in the river and downstream are lovely views. I saw my firt Junco to return, last weekend, but only a fleeting glance!

Jain said...

Thanks for sending a few Juncos on up north, Wanda!

grammie g said...

Hi Jain...we have had the Junco's here in plentiful numbers this past week!
We call them foul weather birds.lol
They are cute little guy's though.

Spiders creep me out so I am not as excited about him as some would be.eeeek's!!!
Have a good week!!

Jain said...

Hope the spider didn't creep you out TOO much, Grammie! Thanks for taking a peek, it was brave of you! :o)
I'm mad about Juncos, such handsome birds!

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

When I saw my photo for my today's blog entry, I immediately thought of you. It looked like Bankside but it is in the Smokies. (2nd photo, www.beyondmygarden.blogspot.com